No announcement yet.

XSplit Catching Flack for Embedded Ads

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• XSplit Catching Flack for Embedded Ads

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3861[/ATTACH]
    Earlier this weekend, the Twitch streaming community discovered that some streamers, specifically those that utilized the free version of XSplit's streaming software, had begun to air embedded advertisements that played over the course of a streamer's broadcast. These advertisements were soon discovered to be for a fighting game tournament to be aired this weekend that XSplit was sponsoring. An example of the ad was captured by one streamer, and can be viewed here.

According to streamers who have had this occur, it seems that these ads are embedded into the broadcaster's upstream without their knowledge and are completely invisible on the broadcaster's side with many not realizing the ads were airing until their viewers brought it to their attention. The anger that has arisen from this seems to be centered around the fact that not only were the new advertisements activated with no warning for broadcasters or even any kind of announcement on XSplit's part, but also that the ads are for another stream, thus potentially detracting from the audience of the broadcasters, who being free XSplit users, generally have a smaller viewer base to begin with.

XSplit has responded to the issue, stating that the new ads were only for this one specific event, that XSplit is not benefitting financially from the ads and that the embedded advertisements have not been enabled permanently. However, it appears the damage has already been done, with many popular YouTube commentators and Twitch broadcasters having lambasted XSplit for its decision to push the ads out silently to free users, with some even going so far as to demand refunds of their license or boycotting the software.

How will this decision affect XSplit in the long run? Might we see a paradigm shift in the current streaming software market? Share your comments on the matter below.

• RoryExtraLife
      RoryExtraLife commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the worst part about it, though, is that it'snot like it's a standard advert, it's pretty much like if you put a gif on your stream for a few seconds and took it off. That's the bullshit in my opinion. Only reason I use it is because it works properly with 64-bit systems and my capture card at the same time. D:

• Cinchil
      Cinchil commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to delete XSplit because of an issue where it would not load... Lucky me.

• Dangerless
      Dangerless commented
      Editing a comment
      It's just XSplit Free which sucks anyway.

AmazingSully, I love how every single time Xsplit is brought up, you must bring up OBS at every given chance always claiming it's better. I can't wait for the day OBS hops onto this wagon because it'll happen sooner or later.

OBS has a shit ton of problems as well, Xsplit may suffer from being more resource heavy along with its own problem but it isn't bad in anyway considering some of the features you do get over OBS.

I'm asking to stop fanboying one side. If you hate it fine but lord. I wouldn't complain myself if you would of just said 'in my opinion'.

As for ads?

Websites have annoying ass ads don't they? Youtube has ads too, even Twitch does and you have no control over those unless you are partnered which if Twitch doesn't make enough money one of these days I can see Twitch embedding Ads and adblock won't work. Heck, Nintendo has gone after LPs and I wouldn't be shocked when the government starts to tax donations.

In this case? It's nothing to complain over.

Also I find it funny ANYONE is complaining to begin with, mainly because Twitch complains about the condition of your stream anyway so why WOULD you use Xsplit Free longer than a day? Not only this, they stated what they did this for along with stating that the option for them to do so has always been there.

Hi, This is Jesper, community manager for SplitmediaLabs, creators of XSplit.

First, let me assure everyone, we're not enabling permanent ads on the XSplit free version without proper notification to everyone.

We hosting an in-house fighting game tournament this weekend between pro-gamer Ryan Ramirez (https://twitter.com/fchampryan) and some local players, which will be streamed to Twitch. We want to promote the event and help the organizers and players to have a nice turnout. The stream will be on Ryan's account btw.

While never before utilized, there is indeed a clearly stated option for us to enable ads on the XSplit free version (http://www.xsplit.com/buy?pp=NAVBAR), and it's always been there. Whether or not we will ever use it permanently is something we will carefully consider, but for promotional purposes beneficial to eSports and streamers in general, we feel we're doing the right thing. We do not gain anything financial from the ad (which we created pro bono).

PS. XSplit is an active financial supporter of eSports with multiple event sponsorships every year.

Can we bury the pitch forks again now please?
      Last edited by Dangerless; 10-22-2013, 10:04 AM.
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Article Tags

Collapse

Working...
X