Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Sit Down with Paradox

Collapse
X
Collapse

• A Sit Down with Paradox

Click image for larger version  Name:	news.jpg Views:	2 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	186068
    This article was written by LordKazemaru

Kazemaru had a chance to sit down with our Project M Smash player, Paradox. In this chitchat we get to know a little more about Paradox, how he got started, where he wants to go and whats going on in the Smash scene in regards of Project M.

In case you're unsure of what "Project M" is. It is designed to retool Brawl to play more like its two predecessors, Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee, in response to fan objections to Brawl's physics, slower-paced game play, larger use of chance elements, and mechanics of certain attacks.

A large number of competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee players were disappointed upon the release of its sequel Brawl six-and-a-half years after the release of Melee. The general consensus among competitive players was that the latter game's developers had reworked the older battling system to better appeal to casual gamers. Thus enters... "Project M".

Enjoy the interview!

LordKazemaru

Well lets start with some basic stuff. Your name is Paradox....Its a pretty cool name, but does it come from anything in particular? Maybe a game or just something that sounded cool?

Paradox

I used to play Melee with a friend of mine back when I was a Marth main. One day he got super salty and yelled "Marth's Fair is like a fucking Paradox, it never ends" so I was like, Paradox sounds dope. I think that was around 2014.

LordKazemaru

Sounds about right yeah, I've heard he can be pretty scary when played well

Paradox

Marth is pretty good but he can have some pretty bad matchups

LordKazemaru

You said you used to be a Marth main, what can you tell me about him?

Paradox

Marth is a very good character for aggressive and spacing playstyles respectively. I only mess with him in friendlies and as a warmup character so I don't know a whole lot but he was buffed from Melee.

LordKazemaru

I tried him a little bit in Brawl. I wasn't too sure what to make of him personally but I could've just been using him wrong.

Paradox

He's high tier in Brawl, nothing like in Melee or PM however.

LordKazemaru

How long have you been playing the Smash series? What was your first game?

Paradox

Casually, in 2001 when I first got my GameCube and Melee. Competitively, in 2013 for Brawl.

LordKazemaru

So that's 12+ years of playing Smash, that's quite a lot. Do you have a favorite?

Paradox

Project M, it's the most balanced and has the most flavor in my opinion.

LordKazemaru

Now, I had never heard of Project M before you. What is it? Just another game in the Smash series?

Paradox

Project M is a mod for Brawl created by a dev team of competitive Smash players to make Brawl like Melee since Brawl was such a disaster of a game. It adds Mewtwo and Roy into the game, bonus costumes, modified tournament legal stages, character balancing, and competitive tech options like in Melee such as L-Canceling and Wavedashing. It pretty much turns Brawl into Melee.

LordKazemaru

I see, thats pretty impressive. A bunch of competitive players banding together to make such an overhaul for the game. Do you hvae any idea why they chose Brawl? Or was it because Brawl was such a disaster to them?

Paradox

At the time, Smash 4 wasn't out yet so the only installment past Melee was Brawl and Brawl was so bad and disappointed so many people that they wanted to make it. Project M as said by many is what Brawl should have been.

LordKazemaru

What attracted you to Project M? The stories of better balance and gameplay? Or something else?

Paradox

In my area there is only a Smash 4 and Project M scene so I didn't have a whole lot of choice but now that I know a lot more about each game I think my choice for Project M was a good one.

LordKazemaru

Is that part of the reason you've stuck with Project M so long? Even though Nintendo supposedly condemns it and has it banned on Twitch and YouTube?

Paradox

It's not banned on YouTube

LordKazemaru

No? My mistake there

Paradox

No worries (: Just banned from Twitch. Technically you're allowed to stream it but if you have a sub button you aren't allowed to. Nintendo doesn't understand competitive gaming like Capcom or Microsoft does. The PM community is like the black sheep that refuses to die

LordKazemaru

That does tend to happen when you get a solid community behind something

Paradox

Our national majors get about 300 people which is bigger than the current Smash 64 and Brawl communities. So being the 3rd biggest Smash community and surpassing two official games is a good path I think.

LordKazemaru

How do you think Project M and Smash 4 compare? Did Nintendo do a better job on it?

Paradox

They don't compare at all, two totally different games. I would have preferred Smash 4 to have a more technical aspect to it and much faster pace but its an improved Brawl so that's something I suppose

LordKazemaru

So you'd like Smash 5 or whatever the next installment is to be more technically and a faster pace?

Paradox

If Smash 5 were to happen I'd like to see it be more friendly as a competitive game, much like Melee was.

LordKazemaru

Lower barrier to entry, higher skill ceiling?

Paradox

I actually think Smash 4 is the hardest Smash game to be good at having almost no technical options makes it incredibly difficult. Props to Smash 4 players for real.

LordKazemaru

You said you'd like a faster pace....I'm not sure but have you ever considered some of the bigger fighting games like Street Fighter?

Paradox

I'm godawful at 2D Fighters. They don't spark my interest and Smash is so much different than games like Street Fighter, they don't even compare.

LordKazemaru

Personally I like Smash better....it feels more fun and there's just something so satisfying about knocking your opponents so far off the screen they explode

Paradox

It really says something when top Street Fighter players can't play Smash for shit. Players like Justin Wong can go play like twenty different fighting games and be like ranked Top 5 in them all but when it comes to Smash, 2D Fighter players can't even compete. It's too different, so different that Melee and Smash 4 don't get much support from the FGC besides like EVO

LordKazemaru

Speaking of EVO....do you think you'll play there sometime? We'd love to see it

Paradox

EVO is like 50/50 for me. Part of me wants to go because I feel like I have to go at least once but its a major buzzkill that they don't support PM. There is a PM side event ran by Arizona Project M but not being a main event and not being on the big stage is a big turnoff, Especially since EVO is in Vegas and that's looking spendy.

I could go to a major like Bigger Balc in SoCal with like 5x the amount EVO would have for PM. For example, at EVO 2017 these are the amount of entries Smash 4: 1,508 Melee: 1,428 PM: 83

LordKazemaru

Oh wow.....thats a very large difference

Paradox

Yeah its pretty sad. I bet like 80% of Melee players don't know there is a PM event

LordKazemaru

Probably not, smaller events tend to get dwarfed by their bigger cousins, which is a shame.

Paradox

Yeah :/

LordKazemaru

What are your goals for the rest of the year and the next?

Paradox

Well I've just been recently PR'd #9 in the state of Alaska so I guess I'm just focusing on taking more names from the people ranked above me. Last weekend I finally managed to take a set off of Bloonacho in Losers so I already have a solid start this upcoming PR season.

LordKazemaru

Sounds like a good plan. Well this has been pretty enlightening. We've gotten to know you a little better and a little bit more about the Alaskan Smash scene and how you got started as a competitor. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about Smash, particularly about Project M since you've told me about it. It really seems fun and maybe we can get a better following for it sometime. Thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing how the next season goes.
    Last edited by Disenchantment; 10-28-2017, 07:18 AM.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Article Tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• The Round Table - Lzuruha 26-26 Black Pearl
      MissFortier

Welcome to this report of the Clan War in Clash of Clans. This is where our Chiefs (Noobs) come together and check out some of the attacks and defenses that won the clan war for us or gave us a good laugh. We call this series "The Round Table" which will happen with every Clan war we do in the Mobile friendly game.

Follow us on Twitter:
      https://twitter.com/Lzuruha
      Follow us on Facebook:
      https://facebook.com/Lzuruha
      Follow us on Youtube:
      ht...
      11-06-2017, 12:46 PM
    • A Sit Down with Paradox
      MissFortier

This article was written by LordKazemaru

Kazemaru had a chance to sit down with our Project M Smash player, Paradox. In this chitchat we get to know a little more about Paradox, how he got started, where he wants to go and whats going on in the Smash scene in regards of Project M.

In case you're unsure of what "Project M" is. It is designed to retool Brawl to play more like its two predecessors, Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee, in response...
      10-28-2017, 07:10 AM
    • Snashin' at Senshi Con 2017!
      MissFortier

This article was written by Kazemaru

I learned today that apparently, Alaska has its very own big anime and video game con known as Senshi-Con. Senshi happens once a year and is the biggest collection of anime and video games in the state.

One of our very own, Paradox, had the opportunity to not only attend, but to compete in the Smash 4 and Melee tourney. He didn't fair all too well in the Smash 4 brackets but managed to gain 12th place in the Melee brackets, a...
      10-08-2017, 11:15 PM
    • The Round Table - Lzuruha 57-40 Ninja Blades
      MissFortier

Welcome to this report of the Clan War in Clash of Clans. This is where our Chiefs (Noobs) come together and check out some of the attacks and defenses that won the clan war for us or gave us a good laugh. We call this series "The Round Table" which will happen with every Clan war we do in the Mobile friendly game.

Our current streak in Clash of Clans has been great this last month! Onward to the next!

Follow us on Twitter:...
      09-25-2017, 01:30 AM
    • The Round Table - Lzuruha vs 四木天王
      MissFortier

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Lzuruha
      Follow us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/Lzuruha
      Follow us on Youtube: ht...
      09-14-2017, 02:44 PM
    • Welcome Paradox! Lzuruha Expands Into Project M!
      MissFortier

Today Lzuruha officially welcomes Paradox to the family. He'll be joining Lzuruha on the newly Super Smash Bros squad; specialized in "Project M". He recently placed top 8 in a LAN event in Alaska (Alaska Smash Bash 2017) against teams like Team Liquid. After sitting down and talking with Paradox, it was clearly a no brainer for us to move forward together as he shows a lot of promise with tournaments coming up this Fall as well streaming some speedruns over on his twitch chann...
      09-05-2017, 06:42 PM
    Working...
    X