GPU vs CPU Encoding for streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU vs CPU Encoding for streaming

I been watching videos and seem pretty dense. I know XSplit doesnt have an option (I think) so this is mostly about OBS.

Whats better for a single PC streaming? Encoding with GPU or CPU?

Lets say I7-6700K vs GTX 1080

Been watching videos :/

It sounds single PC is better off GPU but wanna make sure.
    Last edited by Disenchantment; 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM.

Well basically it boils down to what your pc can handle. They are very similar quality wise and you won't be able to tell the difference when streaming. It's when you are doing very high bit rate encoding for YouTube etc that sets them apart

Comment

So if your pc is struggling to encode on the cpu use the gpu encoder

Comment

Doesnt struggle when I play GTA V and Stream for example off my CPU, I just wanna turn the quality up more on ultra.

How intensive is it on the video card itself cloudyfinal ?

Comment

Virtually zero the higher end nvidia gpus have a separate video encoder chip

Comment

sounds like it wouldn't be so bad to run off the GPU even though my CPU is fine, I notice it gets really high sometimes on the I7-6700K around 90% on GTA V + Streaming off it.

Just didn't wanna try the GPU one and ruin my card or burn it out somehow xD

Thankies!!

Comment

Don't you plan on Dual PC streaming soon? You won't have an issue then with running off your CPU.

Comment

i stream obs and I always use my gpu to encode. Do you have a Geforce gfx? If so,download Geforce Experience and it will optimize games for you to which the gfx can handle and recommends. I have a GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ 4GB Video Card, I run WoW on Ultra, not sure about GTA since I dont own it for PC. Hopefully i was somewhat helpful.

Now if you're talking about x264 vs Nvidia, if your gfx offers to use Nividia then use it, i believe its similar to Shadowplay.

Comment

she has duo 1080s lol SneaksDGAF

Comment

oh snap, I personally would run the SLI gpu's then, less stress on the cpu.

Comment

Originally posted by Disenchantment View Post
                      I been watching videos and seem pretty dense. I know XSplit doesnt have an option (I think) so this is mostly about OBS.

Whats better for a single PC streaming? Encoding with GPU or CPU?

Lets say I7-6700K vs GTX 1080

Been watching videos :/

It sounds single PC is better off GPU but wanna make sure.
                      When it comes to encoding for streaming with OBS on a single PC, the general consensus is that using the GPU to handle the encoding process is the better option. This is because the GPU is specifically designed to handle complex graphics operations and can process large amounts of data quickly.

In your specific scenario, the GTX 1080 is a powerful graphics card that should be more than capable of handling the encoding process, even at high resolutions and bitrates. The i7-6700K is also a capable processor, but it may struggle to keep up with encoding demands while also handling other tasks.

That being said, there are some factors to consider when deciding between GPU and CPU encoding, such as the specific game or application being used, the resolution and bitrate being streamed, and the overall performance of your PC. It's always a good idea to experiment with both options to see which one works best for your specific setup.

Additionally, it's important to note that OBS does offer the option to use both CPU and GPU encoding simultaneously, which can help distribute the workload and improve overall performance. This feature is called "NVENC" and it's available on NVIDIA GPUs, including the GTX 1080.​

Comment

Working...
                      X