Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Streaming PC Builders/Buyers Guide

Streaming Computer Construction

Preface: It's that time again! My old gaming/streaming PC has been retired and sold to a friend of mine, so it's time to build a new one! It's been more than 4 years since my last PC build, and I'm a little behind (to say the least) on the current technology. As such, I'm going to research numerous reputable resources and looking at many benchmark tests on current PC components. All of you lucky Lzuruha heads will be able to reap my research, as I will be documenting everything below. Before we get started, it's important to understand my approach to building this machine.
    • Simplicity and longevity is important to me, so there will be no overclocking or anything that will increase the degeneration of the components. Yeah, I know “Todd it's completely safe if you know what you're doing,” but I don't and I'm not willing to risk $ to learn.
    • My goal is to find the balance between price, power and reliability.
    • The computer will be designed for typical usage (school work/research/Youtube etc) as well as gaming (League of Legends/CSGO) and streaming on Twitch.
    • I'm not terribly concerned with being able to max out the graphics settings on games, so if you are make sure you sink more $ into the appropriate parts.

Let's get started!! (I will be using brackets [[ ]] to close in basic technical explanations of different parts. If you're interested in understanding how the PC works, read these, if not skip them.)

1) CPU- You CPU is going to be taking the brunt of the work, especially when streaming, so make sure you plan accordingly. [[ video encoding is handled by threads located in the core(s) of the CPU. So, in general but not always, more cores means more efficient encoding]] It's pretty standard these days for CPU's to have at least 4 cores, which will work just fine for our purposes. Despite having used an AMD Processor on my previous computer (with no problems at all for anybody still wishing to use their products), decreased prices and many recommendations have turned me to the Intel line of products. Make sure you get the best CPU within your budget so you won't have to upgrade down the line. From what I can tell, any of the processors below will work well for streaming, so research and choose the best model for the games you will be playing. It is also worth noting that the you may want to get a decent CPU cooler for the more expensive ones to help with heating.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Make sure you read up on your chosen CPU. Most I5's are safe with the stock cooler (assuming you aren't over doing it) but I would suggest an aftermarket cooler to help keep your investment safe for I7 models. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Hyper-212-EVO.../dp/B005O65JXI has great reviews, and can be had for around 30 bucks.

Good picks from the I5 line, from lowest end model to highest is
    i5 7400
    i5 7500
    i5 7600
    i5 7600k

Good picks from the I7 line, from lowest end model to highest is
    i7 4770k
    i7 4790k
    i7 5820k
    i7 5930k
    i7 5960x
    i7 6700k
    i7 7700

2) GPU- The graphics card is the next on the agenda. In regards to streaming, this isn't nearly as important as the processor(CPU) so choose a GPU capable of handling the games you play on the setting you prefer. As long as it can handle that, the requirements for streaming will be met as well. I only use EVGA (not the only brand out there, but a brand that has never left me wanting) Popular choices (in ascending price order barring sales) are

Nvidia: GTX 650
    GTX 700
    GTX 900
    GTX 1050 Ti

3) RAM- RAM(memory) isn't terribly important, other than just simply getting quality RAM that doesn't malfunction. Newer motherboards use DDR4 RAM while older ones only are compatible with DDR3 so make sure you check. Don't break the bank here, any reputable brand will do fine. 8-16GB will suffice almost everybody.

4) Motherboard- The motherboard is a place where you can save a bit of money. You don't have to go crazy here (especially if you are not overclocking). Just make sure all of your components are compatible with the chosen motherboard.

5) The Rest- For the rest of the build, I would advise choosing components that are reputable. You will need a case, power supply, harddrive (or solid state drive for you impatient people:P), an operating system (such as Windows 10) and any additional peripherals you may want (I still want my DVD drive). Make sure you choose a case big enough to house all of your components while still having room to breathe (some space is good because airflow is increased for cooling).

CHEAT SHEET: For everyone who wants an even easier time, http://www.build-gaming-computers.co...-computer.html is updated monthly with several recommended PC builds for almost every price point! And of course read and research reviews and bench test before buying anything!

SAMPLE BUILD
    This is the build I currently have selected (pending price changes while I save up)
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    RAM: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133
    Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
    Total: $576.44
    Last edited by TheonecalledTodd; 03-28-2017, 09:26 PM.
    Todd C.
    Twitch.Tv/TheonecalledTodd

My personal bests (PB Tracker)

not a bad list, maybe a little more on cooling with fans, heatsinks or liquid

also a big mistake people make, case sizes, make sure its big enough to fit those large video cards and other stuff in it.

Comment

What type of budget Todd? I just finished my build but I went a little overboard lol
      LzH Speedrunner
      Super Metroid Any% 53:27
      www.twitch.tv/daddypnot3d
      CALL ME PNOTE
      #Pnote4Partner2014

Comment

Yeah should probably touch on the ATX sizes etc for cases like Kari said. Its a nub mistake a lot make and get blindsided by!

Comment

So as far as the Motherboard sizes, I'm too green to give advice on that (I use pcpartpicker to check for compatibility). Edited for case info.
          Todd C.

Comment

motherboard sizes matter when it comes to cases as some cases will be too small in some cases, heres a basic idea

Click image for larger version

Name:	1gdVj.png
Views:	126
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	183707

Comment

There is also extended ATX or E-ATX
              LzH Speedrunner
              Super Metroid Any% 53:27
              www.twitch.tv/daddypnot3d
              CALL ME PNOTE
              #Pnote4Partner2014

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the info. MicroATX seems to be the most cost effective option still providing diversity.
                Todd C.

Comment

I built a powerhouse PC for gaming on my outside living room. The problem of course is that water and electricity don't mix, hence the outdoor power strip But it turned out well. I used an AMD 8 core with optimized G4 graphics card.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200807-205650__01.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	192169

Comment

I would recommend you to check out Triple Monitor setup for Laptop - https://pherice.com/read-blog/48_mos...y-pricena.html

This is great for streaming setup and you can chat on one monitor also.

Comment

I took a long time to choose a PC for streaming and gaming. Let's just say it was my most expensive purchase. Wanted an Intel Core i9-7980XE to have the latest version, new graphics and motherboard. Of course, at the time I didn't know that the more expensive the PC, the more expensive the maintenance, parts replacement and other stuff would be. Had to do a RAID RECOVERY after another crash. I was then convinced that it was better to get a simple computer for work and a bit more expensive (not the most sophisticated) one for gaming without overloading it with working files. Then everything will work fine.
                      Last edited by mollyduwharris; 04-23-2022, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Depending on the platform you use, you might trade without being a professional. Some platforms like best forexstore provide charts that are especially easy to understand for beginners. You just have to be very disciplined at analyzing all the changes. This way, one can anticipate changes, as increase, or decrease in value of stocks (or crypto) and decide buy or sell. I know some platforms that provide broker assistance for a small percentage. One can subscribe and copy the buying behavior of the broker. In this case, you don't even need to analyze and take decisions. Just read some reviews of popular brokers and start investin
                        Last edited by MarkoLinome; 11-04-2022, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X