Alot of False VAC Bans for TimerResolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alot of False VAC Bans for TimerResolution

Over the week a lot of people got falsely banned for using TimerResolution which sparked a massive pitchfork group on a lot of innocent players like Handi. How come Valve is so far behind and clients like ESEA are far superior?

Steams Statement:

Due to an error with one of our cheat detections, there were about 100 VAC bans falsely applied to users running TimerResolution. At this time, we’ve fixed the detection and removed all of the false positives that were flagged in error. If you were affected, you should receive a Steam Alert next time you login stating that your ban has been removed. Our apologies to those of you who were incorrectly accused of cheating. We’ve reviewed all other bans issued during this period and concluded they were correctly applied—they will not be removed.
    Source:

Yeah the creator recently put out an announcement on it too:

I'm the guy who created TimerResolution. It was never intended to be used as an optimiser for game performance. The first time I saw my web stats go through the roof I thought I must have been hacked - it turned out that someone had discovered that TimerResolution dramatically improved the ping time of their clans CS server and had posted about it on a gaming forum. I was pretty proud of my little program that day.

Fast forward to today where I woke up to email alerts that my site was down - some of you may have noticed that I'm not a frequent poster of new content so I didn't really give it much thought. Then I got two PayPal payments IN THE SAME DAY! That just doesn't happen so I knew a new group of people had discovered TimerResolution. It was with great disappointment and sadness that I discovered the reasons.

Some people had been banned by Valve's VAC for using TimerResolution - The AI, Heuristics, or button pushers inside Valve had decided that my little program was a tool used by cheats. Now by the time I got onto the story the accounts had been restored but that can't have been a nice feeling for those affected. They had been publicly called a cheat and I was partly to blame.

So to those people who were honestly using TimerResolution and found themselves banned I just want to say sorry. The gaming community has always been a great supporter of the tool and donations and purchases have allowed the site to stay online for many years and for that I want to say thank you.

I will note that I have not heard from Valve so I do not know any of the details of why or how TimerResolution was flagged. If this was a product that I was selling for financial gain I'd be pretty upset with Valve for dragging it through the mud and casting doubt on its integrity.

Again my sincere apologies for my part in this messy situation.

Comment

Working...
    X