Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions?!

Hey everyone,
    As I am currently working on a preliminary plan for my upcoming 24-hour stream for Extra Life with a goal to raise $1,000 for my local children's hospital (on a date to be announced, but I will give ample notice.) I'm looking for recommendations on what to run. Kirby's Dreamland and Mega Man 2 will most certainly make appearances, but I can't imagine streaming those for 24 hours, nor can I expect people to stay around for any length of time watching repetitive runs on those games. So my criteria are as follows:

1) I prefer games on retro systems because the emulators are easier on my CPU and setting up my cheap USB controller is a smoother process. (Gameboy (color/advance) NES and SNES are my favorites, but I'm not opposed to Genesis, Gamegear and the like)

2) If I am going to speedrun the game, it needs to have a lower learning curve because I won't have enough time to learn any frame perfect tricks and such on numerous games on top of my current work and school load. I doubt I'd me making world record attempts, but I still want to make respectable times.

3) I enjoy sleeper games, you know those really good games that fly under the radar.

4) I've never ran an RPG before! Crazy right, RPG's are my favorite games, but I'm still looking for that one that I can sit down and start to master. Carn is fantastic at FF7, but those games take a lot of dedication and time to do well at. Are there any easy to learn/tough to master RPG's out there that I may be overlooking?

Thanks for the help LZH heads and I hope you will stop by and visit when I get my stream up and going again (still chugging towards 100 followers!)

***NOTE: avoid the typical "play what you enjoy" answer, I understand that and wouldn't play a game I didn't enjoy anyways!
    Todd C.
    Twitch.Tv/TheonecalledTodd

My personal bests (PB Tracker)

you're going to want to look like a mellow game for when you're on the home stretch. Maybe like Zelda... but if you hate yourself, everyone loves seeing battletoads.

Comment

Never played Battletoads, but I always hear good things about it. Think I'll look into that one!
      Todd C.

Comment

you will rage if you play battletoads

Comment

Final Fantasy 8 is pretty free.

Comment

meesbaker is pretty right about FF8 if you have some notes. You can be god mode pretty much legitly.

Comment

FF8 is a phenomenal game, but the problem would be setting up and emu/controller for the job. I'll definitely look into it though! Keep em' coming.
              Todd C.

Comment

Best NES platformer is a game i can see but cant remember the name of it... Garrison use to speed run it, it can be simple or super hardcore with all the tricks. its for the NES and it looks way ahead of its time for an NES game. You're a bean is all I can remember sadly and shoot stars from your head lol

Comment

Google turned up no leads on that one Tasha, I'll go through Garrison's channel when I have a chance and see what I come up with. I am a big fan of beans after all Kappa
                  Todd C.

Comment

I remembered after a night sleep, Gimmick!

Comment

Originally posted by TheonecalledTodd View Post
                      FF8 is a phenomenal game, but the problem would be setting up and emu/controller for the job. I'll definitely look into it though! Keep em' coming.
                      Use pSX v1.13 it requires no setup and is gameplay wise the best emulator for psx. Only thing you must enter in config is controller mapping, if your pad makes trouble use xpadder. If you can read french kartseven has great notes for ff8 on her twitch profile.

Comment

I'll check around and see if I have a ps3 controller to use, currently I'm using a usb SNES controller so psx games use too many buttons.
                        Todd C.

Comment

Also getting away from NES and onto some SNES games, Donkey Kong Country series is a great game for its time.

Comment

They were, I wonder how difficult it would be to learn to run those. I forgot I did some ALTTP runs in the past, I could pick that back up
                            Todd C.

Comment

Theres a randomizer now for a link to the past TheonecalledTodd

Comment

Working...
                              X