A Good question for the Speed Running Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good question for the Speed Running Community

Hey guys, I have been wondering and This is to all Speed Runners. Would there be a special exception to using a emulator on the Gameboy Advance Game Mother 3 which was only released in Japan. And I know that I would have to come up with my own strats because this game is not well known due to the exclusiveness of it being only released in Japan. Should there be a special exception for using the emulator to play and speed run this game? Because I do wanna speed run this and at one point submit it. If this would be accepted by the community. And I would also stream the specs of my emulator and use a valid version of the emulator. Thanks to Everyone that has read this. I will be checking this daily until the it is a majority decision

im not sure on this issue anyone know?
    sigpic

Comment

Check with people who run the game itself, They would be the best people to ask.
      Personal Bests
      Ocarina of Time
      MST-J - 2:35:15
      Any%-J - 23:30
      No RBA/WW-J - 1:44:16
      100%-J - 6:58:09

Majoras Mask
      Any% (English) - 2:24:29

Grand Theft Auto III
      Any% - 1:49:22

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KerCollins View Post
        Hey guys, I have been wondering and This is to all Speed Runners. Would there be a special exception to using a emulator on the Gameboy Advance Game Mother 3 which was only released in Japan. And I know that I would have to come up with my own strats because this game is not well known due to the exclusiveness of it being only released in Japan. Should there be a special exception for using the emulator to play and speed run this game? Because I do wanna speed run this and at one point submit it. If this would be accepted by the community. And I would also stream the specs of my emulator and use a valid version of the emulator. Thanks to Everyone that has read this. I will be checking this daily until the it is a majority decision
        If you use the english patch, than no as the english patch also causes a couple of noteworthy issues that you can read about on the translation page. It also doesn't keep the game true to its nature. It could also make the game have either slower text or faster text depending on how the translation team did it.

If you want to practice and route it go for it. Congestio on twitter is the only thing that allows for submitted times with emulators but it has nothing to do with SRL/SDA or any other site.

A special case is Virtual Boy Wario Land, because you cannot record off of the Virtual Boy by any means without hard modding it which is dangerous to do so.

You don't have that special case, you are playing a japanese RPG for GBA that you also have the ability to record the game on cart. So import everything you need to play japanese GBA games and go with that.
        Last edited by Dangerless; 09-01-2013, 12:12 AM.
        Wario Land 4 - 59:49
        Virtual Boy Wario Land Any% - 23:22
        Wario World any% WR - 48:40

Comment

So if I want to speed run this legitimately I would have to purchase a Japanese GBA and unmodified Mother 3 Cartridge? And the Patch is Fanmade and I am talking to other people that stream Mother 3 and they used the English patch also the Video on YouTube that has a total of Sub 6 hours uses the english patch. But would that mean it would not be accepted by SRL or any other speed running communities? And Thank you guys for helping me out!

Comment

Originally posted by KerCollins View Post
            So if I want to speed run this legitimately I would have to purchase a Japanese GBA and unmodified Mother 3 Cartridge? And the Patch is Fanmade and I am talking to other people that stream Mother 3 and they used the English patch also the Video on YouTube that has a total of Sub 6 hours uses the english patch. But would that mean it would not be accepted by SRL or any other speed running communities? And Thank you guys for helping me out!
            Correct. If you seriously want to submit it to SDA for example you would have to play it legitmately in japanese on cart, though I'm not sure on how their policy's go when it comes to japanese RPGs.

SRL is only for races and to bring the speedrunning folks together it isn't a place for time submissions (they need to get around to actually doing it, they've grown so much in the last couple of years).

Youtube isn't a place for official submits either, as far as you may know it could be spliced or worst. Though most people don't do that and upload their PB/WRs...it still isn't a official submit if you get what I mean.

That's just how the cookie crumbles sadly, you can always compete against other peoples time though but you would never be able to officially submit it. So most people just compete against another users time and that's as far as it goes.

Don't let it bother you and just have fun doing it anyway.
            Last edited by Dangerless; 09-01-2013, 03:49 AM.
            Wario Land 4 - 59:49
            Virtual Boy Wario Land Any% - 23:22
            Wario World any% WR - 48:40

Comment

Yes sites like SDA require recordings from the original unmodified cart which is in my opinion totally understandable. And if you're looking for stras you could probably check out the nicovideo RTA wiki which is the japanese speedrun community for videos of Mother 3 runs.
              ( http://www40.atwiki.jp/niconamarta/ )
              German Final Fantasy runner and router:
              FF6 Glitchless (PAL PSN) 9:08:32 (Version Record)
              FF7 No Slots (PAL PSN) 11:21:07 (Version Record, very outdated)

Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/wypy
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wypy_Speedruns

Comment

I am planning on just speedrunning it for fun and not try to submit it to SDA due to that until i get a cart version of it and i will then have to learn Japanese. But Dangerless i understand why it isn't allowed to use the patch because it can change the game in some ways.

Comment

As far as I know, typically if the game is on a handheld, emulators are allowed. Not in all cases though. Some communities do have emulator leaderboards though

Comment

To my knowledge I believe some emulators are an exception, because I've watched a speed runner that played Pokemon: Yellow Version play it as an emulator and another play Pokemon: Silver. The only reason I see this is because the loading speeds are the exact same since cartridges have basically instant loading. So comparing it to an emulator there are some you can't really see the difference

Comment

There is no exception. It doesn't stop you to play on emulator, you can still speedrun for fun and some game communities allows emulators in their leaderboards because they don't really mind (some of them begins to go into some drama about it though). But if you go into the mindset of having a run submitted to SDA, you'll need to have the original Mother 3 cart. But it doesn't stop you from using the fan patch at first to get the route done and some runs.

And you don't really have to learn japanese to run Mother 3 if you have the route, you just have to know what items are in japanese and memorize them
                      Twitter : https://twitter.com/Dreamboum
                      My twitch : http://www.twitch.tv/dreamboum
                      Games I speedrun : Parasite Eve
                      Still in training : Final Fantasy 6, Parasite Eve 2

Comment

Working...
                      X