Wario World.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wario World.

I wanted to give a mention here for Wario World (including the Wario Land series) that are severely underrated and overlooked. It's a beat'em up/platformer that has some cool bosses (some rather creepy in their on right), interesting level design and some catchy tunes. Gut of the story for the game is, the Black Jewel awakens and turns all of Wario's treasure into evil spirits. Spritlings (I think their called) ask for Wario for help to defeat the Black Jewel and in return they will rebuild and restore Wario's castle to its former glory.

For speedrunning, the game has a lot of arena skips and boss strats including optimized routing for getting around pretty fast and collecting the red jewels (red jewels are in sub-levels that you need for getting to the boss each world has a certain amount that you need in order to open the seal). It's a short game and I really would like people to give it a try if they are into speedrunning. I'm currently on route for 59 minutes but I'm still far from World Record for the game.

Tycon holds the any% WR at 55:43 which is very good because there are two arena skips in the game that are hard to pull off.
    Wario Land 4 - 59:49
    Virtual Boy Wario Land Any% - 23:22
    Wario World any% WR - 48:40

that was fun to watch this morning. I was surprised

Comment

It's a shame I rarely got out of World 1 this morning, but I have a pretty solid time and can't afford a huge mess up (5 minutes off WR, who knows I might be able to get it myself :P)

I did forget to mention what other colletables were in this game: Treasure chests (if you collect them all in each level it unlocks GBA warioware mircogames so you can link up your old GBA to play them), Golden Wario Statues collecting all of these in each level gives you a half a heart to your total health, the Spritlings which give you a different ending depending on how many you collect.

And of course I mentioned red jewels but there are actually 8 of them in each level.

Comment

grats on ur PB :P

Comment

Thanks! Now I've got a strong time to beat. :P

Comment

Bump, but a good one.

For quite awhile now, I've been improving on my time in the mean time I've also developed a 'guide' of sorts to help newcomers into the game and start speedrunning it as well (I would love to see more races out of this). The earlier videos are a bit flawed but should still serve as a starting ground, later videos are much better and have some new whacky strats as well. I've been working on not just any% but 100% as well.

Guide here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...q1Q2pQVCJf7qIz

Example of what you will find in the guide among other videos.

Comment

Mind if we post up on the DB?

Comment

Originally posted by MissFortier View Post
                Mind if we post up on the DB?
                Feel free to do so, I'm always updating it when I get the chance.

EDIT: Also, when my copy of the japanese version comes in I will post any differences here. All I know is that in the japanese version the black jewel has cosmic changes, sadly you can only find this footage on nico nico but I'll post about it once it gets here.
                Last edited by Dangerless; 08-02-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Update: Here is a list of differences that I found in the japanese version of Wario World

3-1 - The ledge by the blue chest spawn is not grabable in this version

3-2 - Vines along with a lot of other slopes are more slippery, making it harder to reach the first sub-level here.

4-1 - Face skip (after the arena) is not skipable, it appears they gave him a barrier so you can't jump around him.

Lastly, the biggest cosmic change. The Black Jewel spawns more spritlings during the first four skulls, and the last four skulls he brawls you head on. He has a ton of different attacks in this phase as well. I uploaded this footage because it's epic.

Comment

keep it up dangerless and good luck
                    sigpic

Comment

Cool! i always love watching your Wario world runs
                      Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Debtors View Post
                        Cool! i always love watching your Wario world runs
                        Thanks, even though at this point the game is getting reset heavy I'll get that sub 53 at some point.

Comment

Working...
                        X