FF7 30FPS - frame limiter bug explained and solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF7 30FPS - frame limiter bug explained and solved

There has been a lot of rumor and discussion about the fps issue on ff7 pc which causes the game to run inconsistent fps in field depending on your computer. I finally want to clarify things on this matter and offer a solution to get a proper competitive category.

First of all, the game originally runs at 30fps. However it can run on any higher fps and not just integers. If 2 people have FRAPS report 34 it can still vary a lot since it can go anywhere from 34.0 to 34.9 in small steps. Everyone has their own fps depending on their machine and it can go anywhere pretty much. Just looking at the pc runs by tome, kynos or me should be pretty obviously not the way the game is supposed to look like , it looks overly accelerated.

Now why does this happen ? Well the game has a bugged frame limiter that tries to limit to 30 but fails doing so. DLBP from qhimm discovered that there is a wrong value in the calculation at memory adress 0x7B7848. Setting this value to 0 in fact solves the glitch and the fps jump to 30 in field on any machine.
    quoting from qhimm:

As Aali said, the piece of code could cause that. Get HextLaunch and make a hext file (or just use a memory editor) and change this:

007B7848 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

With hext file you can do

7B7848 = 00 : 8

This will remove what seems to be the erroneous value from the field calculation. Let me know what happens. You will need to enter a field from the world map, or load the game, for this to take effect.

Now there is a method to actually solve this problem and make the framelimiter behave as it should:

1) Disable Aero design. In Win7, jus rightclick desktop and change design to windows basic in the corresponding options.
    2) Go in the ff7 graphics settings and put 640x480, untick all graphics options except keep aspect ratio
    3) In order to increase the windowsize reduce the resolution of your desktop as much as possible. At a certain point fps might drop to 25, go 1 step above with your screen resolution. The settings can be found by rightclicking desktop as well.
    4) If you find your window too small to play, increase the resolution in the ff7 settings step by step and look out for fps changes in battle with e.g. FRAPS

Now if you are on windows 10 I believe the game should run at proper speed anyway since afaik it does not have aero. For windows 8 things are more complicated because you need to kill the processes explorer.exe and dwm.exe to get rid of aero. Kartseven made a step by step guide on how to get 30fps on windows 8 as well:

http://docs.google.com/document/d/1t...C2JMwbhCUg/pub
    Last edited by meesbaker; 02-15-2016, 04:59 AM.

Sadly I'm not a runner of FF7 but overall this seems pretty fair in all aspects.
    If you get at least the amount you put into it then go ahead. Otherwise I suggest you don't do it.

Comment

Thank you ! Im glad people like the idea, pc30 is much easier available than a ntsc ps2 slim.

Comment

Is there a guide on how to patch this?

Comment

A patch doesnt exist only a realtime solution. http://pastebin.com/Z6Xpbg3d

Comment

Thanks for that, definitely made the run a whole lot easier.

Comment

Working...
            X