Beginner's Guide to Speedrunning RE3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner's Guide to Speedrunning RE3

Here's a beginning list of things you should know about this game before you decide to get into it. Like all games, you should complete it once and have a good feel of what the text should say, where the enemies randomize, and etc.
    1. Where do I even begin to speedrun RE3?
      A: Anywhere! The best way to start is to play any version of the game you're comfortable on. If you're comfortable with a controller, a good place to start is usually the console version. Or you can play the PC with a controller if you tweak with it a bit.

2. What's the key to getting a good run?
      A: Good to Perfect RNG. This game has a randomization feature that will leave you frustrated beyond belief. Monsters in certain locations randomize, items are always randomized, and puzzles are randomized to a certain degree. You have to be quick on your toes and have a strong mastery of the game. The best route is to follow Carrot's Speedrun as it is the fastest one by far. Myself, ArcadiaSkies, Dchaps, and Paul1no are usually giving it a good run through. So if you want to get into it, we're a good place to watch to see what you have to do.

3. I can't get passed -puzzle here-!
      A: It's wise to have all the puzzle solutions on a piece of paper or in a separate window. The Music Box Puzzle, the Time Goddess Puzzle, and the Water Sample Puzzles are usually the only ones you'll have major issues on. Every solution can be found online with a little bit of googling. Here's the solutions thanks to the BiohazardTA wiki. Write 'em down, memorize them, whatever but take advantage of them because if you don't, this game will eat you alive.

4. Do the outcomes of the Live Selection affect the time?
      A: In some cases yes, others no. If you stick with the top for most of them you'll be fine. The only ones you'll want to watch out for is the kitchen, do NOT choose one and just wait til Nemesis goes for a punch, then run passed him. It's the fastest way to do it. For the bridge where you have to jump off or push him off, pushing him is the fastest for later cutscenes. Finally, the last selection is to ignore and evacuate. Those are the three key selections you'll want to make that will greatly reduce your time in the long run.

5. I can't get close to the World Record!
      A: The only way you're going to is with the Japanese PC version. Now I should clarify this because there's a bit of a problem with that. The game was re-released several times by various companies, particularly SourceNext and MediaKite. SourceNext shows some noticeable lag during the transfer to the loading screen which can take up to two seconds. The worst part? The game still counts this lag. MediaKite, however, is like every other version of the game, with loading times but still in Japanese. The world record for the Sourcenext Version is 48:35, and the world record for the MediaKite version is 45:17. How can you tell which one you have? The SourceNext version has a small intro when you first load up the game and I believe shows up until you beat the game once. The MediaKite version can only be attained via importing from the Amazon Japan store, or at least so I've found.

These are some of the basics, and if your luck isn't with you in even some of the slightest way, it can really damage your time. The more you get bit, the more time you take. The longer you take on a puzzle, the quicker that World Record run is leaving your grasp. Above all, training the game over and over is the best way to make sure you get a good feel for the game.

Any questions about the game? I'll explain them if I can. Just ask! I think that covers the basics...I'll try and cover some more advanced things later like the Quickshot Glitch and other tiny things.
    Last edited by MarcFirewing; 06-13-2013, 12:19 PM.

the big thing that threw me off is theres a lot of little stuff you have to collect. I don't know if it's because it was in Japanese but I have no clue how you'd know or find out stuff like codes to the computer etc

Comment

The solutions are all linked, but in the normal game you'd find the codes in the following places:

Police Station Code: Normally you have to grab the card off Brad's body when Nemesis kills him at the police station. Otherwise you have to side track down another hall to get to another room and get Jill's card. Which you would then use on a computer in the main hall to get the code. For obvious reasons, it's better to just guess because by the time you would put the first code in you'd more than likely be through or not.

Power Station Code: That's actually something you have to guess. It's Red > Blue > Blue > Blue but the other room is where you would get the opposite weapon that could be in the police station. The Police Station cabinet usually has the magnum or grenade launcher, and whichever you get there you can get here. Ideal for races to just grab the launcher here if you don't get it in the police station.

Music Box puzzle: At the base of the stairs on both sides in the clock tower, there's a music box. One that sounds wrong, the other that sounds right. You would normally check one to figure out the solution but since it's not randomized really, it's not too hard to figure out which belongs to what.

Time Goddess puzzle: The Amber, Obsidian, and Crystal balls each have their own specific time they add or subtract time to the middle clock depending on which slot they're put in. This is more of a guessing puzzle too but the goal is to get it to 12 o'clock which reveals the gold puzzle.

Sickroom puzzle: Mirror the room to the one next to it and use the code on the safe.

Vaccine Base Puzzle: Just balance out the two lines which is, again, guessing but easy enough.

Gear Puzzle: You have to match the gears to a certain pattern in 6 moves in order to match the correct drain pattern which means you have to put the two black gears where the white are and vice-versa.

Steam puzzle: Usually you have to make the steam disappear from in front of the console and activate it by hitting all the switches. There's a glitch that lets you actually just be able to hit the console by taking advantage of the lack of hit boxes after you get hit for a few seconds.

Water Puzzle: Last puzzle of the game but the goal is to match the top to the left. Luck is involved unless you have the answers.

Comment

Working...
      X