Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Build A Tower!

That's right!

I'm looking to spend no more than $3000 right now. I have monitors, mouse, keyboard, etc. Just need the tower itself.

I currently have an Alienware m17x r3 with the following specs:

16GB RAM
    Intel i7-2860QM @ 2.50GHz (quad, I think)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M gcard

So, pretty decent, but not perfect. I'm looking for something that has more processing power and can support me playing WoW, streaming, and watching a movie at the same time over 2 23" monitors. Monitors are ASUS VH238H's, currently connected via VGA and HDMI, and that seems fine to me. They also support D-SUB and DVI, I believe. Also not sure if I should go for a regular old HD or an SSD. I hear that people run 2 now with their OS on the SSD and all of their storage on the old mechanical? Dunno.

What do ya'll think?
    http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...psc2fa388f.jpg

ssd for os, storage on the others yep!!

Comment

It's good talk to me on skype asap sorry I didnt see this before I'll help you out.
      http://steamsignature.com/profile/de...7976240074.png

Comment

a 780, a i7-4770k,and 16gbs of ram and you should be fine

Comment

Get a liquid cooling system for your processor, like a Corsair H-100, and overclock your processor. If you don't know how look it up and get ready for some serious trial and error work until you get all the clock and voltage settings just right. A faster processor will enable you to do all the multitasking you mentioned in your post. MSI motherboards have an OC genie button that can overclock an i-5 2500k to 4.2 gHz safely and stably. I know the k series sandy bridge has been discontinued for basically being too awesome. I had an i-7 sandy bridge up to 4.7 gHz before a surge through my ethernet port fried it. So you'll need to do some research on the ivy bridge series that intel is producing now to see which ones are overclocking the easiest and most reliably. If you want to get more life out of your video cards make sure to get a classified series (Nvidia) because they are made to be overclocked. They're built form sturdier stuff and won't object to being fiddled with via EVGA precisionX software. 16gb of RAM is exactly what you need don't short change your RAM on its clock either. It will say 16xx speed on the box but will likely start up at 1333 so you'll need to set your RAM speeds manually through your motherboard. Get at least an 850 watt power source and DON'T have it put together for you! Order the parts individually and make sure to warranty each component. This will save you a shitload of money. Putting together a PC is not hard. If you know how to build a halfway decent house out of legos you can put together a tower. SSD for your OS and get a 7200rpm HDD for your games and make sure you get one with the biggest front-end cache you can afford to reduce bottle necking at your HDD. That's about all I can think of at the moment. All this advice is from my own experience. My current rig ran me about 3 grand so it's probably close to what you want. I've built machines for my self, my wife and several friends and family members. Cheap is expensive when it comes to this kind of stuff so don't skimp on the dough if you can help it. The tech specs for my rig are on my twitch page if your interested in what I have under the hood. www.twitch.tv/dad_of_steel/new Good luck!
          An army of donkeys led by a lion will always defeat and army of lions led by a donkey

Comment

Working...
          X