Fixing NES Blinking Red Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing NES Blinking Red Light

Recently a member in our community had an issue with this that I had to help fix it so I figured i'd share it here for anyone that may encounter the problem down the road.

If your NES giving you the blinking red light, you're going to have to disable the lockout chip, and this will no longer be an issue. Yeah it's that simple. The lockout chip was added to the NES to prevent use of pirated NES cartridges, however the lockout chips have serious issues and may cause the system to malfunction.

Disclaimer - I'm not responsible if you mess it up and ruin your console. If you don't know what you're doing don't attempt this.

Step 1. Removing the Layers

Theres a lot of cases in the NES you're going to have to unscrew, you're going to want to get to this area so we can start fixing your NES.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nes1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	86643

Remove 2 of the 3 connections to the front of the console.

Step 2. Taking care of the 3193A Chip

Remove the motherboard and locate the 3193A IC. This is the lockout chip. Bend the 4th pin on the lockout chip to break it and disable the lockout chip. Break the pin off the board with needle nose pliers.

Name:	nes2.jpg
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	86644

Name:	nes3.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	86645

Step 3. Test Time

Simply put a game in and test it out now, you can test it putting it partly back together to see if the game screen now pops back up, enjoy.

You gotta be kidding me...this has been causing me hell for YEARS. Bravo!

Comment

The original red ring. Thanks for the info!
      Todd C.
      Twitch.Tv/TheonecalledTodd

My personal bests (PB Tracker)

Comment

Working...
      X