AGDQ 2016 Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGDQ 2016 Reflections

Hey Guys with AGDQ winding down I wanna hear your thoughts about it! Overall Satisfied Dissatisfied? What your Favorite moments were favorite runs etc. Please share your AGDQ 2016 Experience!

MY Thoughts are I feel it was well done and good, I really enjoyed the MTPO Blindfold run between sinister1 and zallard1 was really fun and intense and the lack of crowd applause to allow the runners to hear sound cues made it nailbiting. My most dissatisfied moment was learning that Super Mario Wolrd 2 Yoshis Island was only a credit warp and not an actual run that game is one of my favorites to watch

Please share your thoughts guys and gals!
    sigpic

I didn't watch very much of it tbh but what I did it watch it was pretty cool.

Comment

It was a lot better than 2015.

Comment

They were pretty successful on a technical front this year and presentation. I must admit though I didn't watch very much of it as well... Nothing really stood out to me besides Straevarus RBO run.

Comment

My favorite run was the half life 2 run. I never played half life 2, but the speedrun was fun to watch.

Comment

I didn't watch much this year, but the bit I did was good. Also, its always nice to see video games being used for good/good press for video gamers.

Comment

I watched alot of AGDQ2016 this year. But for me its mostly negativ to be honest. Well the good thing is they raised alot of money for a great cause. But this events really starts to get a "Sellout" Well of course sponsors are important and stuff. But when i hear every 10 minutes, in most lazy and boring announcement from the host, "and agdq is sponsored from twitch, insert product, insert bla, etc." Its kinda... meh.

The Runner and the games are ok overall - besides the aweful game sections, this is just stupid. And Carnage you said it on your post. I fear future speedruns turn into something like "insert codes, commands from the start of the game to get warped to the end of the game/credits.
              For example Games are: Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Crystal, Super Mario World (SNES) or even Any% Zelda OOT. I was pretty much tiltet and triggered about the Zelda - Link to the Past Run. Its a Glitch massacre and has nothing to do with a good solid speed run imo.

Speedrun has to be like breaking the game somehow - but not like this.

My Opinion - Good idea what AGDQ stands for but it turns into something i dont like. Sellout. Glitch-overload. Good things are: the commentary of the runners.

Comment

I definitely have to say I was largely impartial to AGDQ this time around.

It absolutely wasn't the worst event they've ever had, but they certainly have had better.

As for the positive, I always love their TASbot runs. That's what I look forward to every year, that's the one thing I will legitimately schedule out of my day to watch. Some of the other stuff was how well some of the runners communicated with the audience. I know that this isn't much in the host's hands, but a good portion of the runners are always kind of those sort of people who just zone out on the game and you can sort of tell that they don't get much social interaction. That being said, for some that's just a personality trait of theirs. For others it's just them not wanting to socialize. I don't mean it as anything personal to them, I just don't like it. And lastly is the addition of Tokyo Attack. As a rhythm gamer myself, this is exciting to see a contract signed with them; however it's pretty meaningless to most everyone else.

Now for the negative. As I said before, I'm a pretty well versed rhythm gamer. The people they brought on for the Stepmania speedrun. I get it, to the untrained eye, it was freaking amazing. They were really good, extremely fast, and entertaining to watch. That's fine. The thing that bothers me, is that they did it wrong. The people on the couch kept trying to share knowledge of the game and while they tried their best, a lot of the information they gave was outright incorrect; partially or wholly. Also with the game itself, the settings he was using were modified. The timing windows were wider than the game originally is, the gradings he had set were changed so that it was significantly easier to get the high AA grade he was getting, there was just a lot wrong. The second thing is the games and when they were being played. They had some GOOD games on the schedule that I was really excited to see. Thing was all those games I was really excited to see weren't until nearly 3 AM. I get that's mainly my issue, but still. I'm a bit salty about that. Poll some games that people wanna see. Make the popular ones during prime time.

Overall, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing either. I'm excited for the future ones, especially for SGDQ since it'll be right in my hometown!

Comment

I didn't watch too much of AGDQ this year but i really enjoyed the 1p2c runs. That was really fun to watch, I didn't even know that was a thing. But overall what I saw it was ok, not amazing and not full of shit but it was simply ok.
                  Bnet: SirPenguin#2598 [EU]
                  Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/sirpenguinsc2

Comment

Working...
                  X