Netflix to increase subscription costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix to increase subscription costs

The streaming video company said Monday that it planned to increase subscription prices for new customers by one or two dollars a month within the next few months. Existing subscribers will be able to continue at their current rate "for a generous time period," Netflix (NFLX) said.

U.S. streaming subscribers currently pay $7.99 a month, a plan introduced back in 2010. The company raised monthly fees for new subscribers in Ireland by one euro back in January, a change that it said had "limited impact."

"If we want to continue to expand, to do more great original content... we have to eventually increase prices a little bit," Netflix (NFLX) CEO Reed Hastings said in a conference call with analysts Monday.

The news came as part of Netflix's first-quarter earnings announcement. Shares surged 6.6% in after-hours trading Monday, after another quarter of strong subscription growth and earnings that came in ahead of analyst expectations.

Netflix added 2.25 million new streaming subscribers in the first three months of the year, just a shade off pace from the fourth quarter of 2013, which was its best in three years. The service now has nearly 36 million subscribers in the U.S. and over 48 million globally.
    CNN -- http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/21/tech...html?hpt=hp_t3

Are you ready to start paying 9.99? it seems they're putting it up more and more every few years.

I don't see a problem with it, but on the other hand I do use netflix a lot.
    Afroking LoL
    Battletag Elderfro#1453
    STREAM

Comment

in before they change it to charging you for the bandwidth you use Kappa

Comment

Originally posted by Disenchantment View Post
        in before they change it to charging you for the bandwidth you use Kappa
        Don't give them any ideas
        If you get at least the amount you put into it then go ahead. Otherwise I suggest you don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by x10power View Post
          Don't give them any ideas
          joke is on you, they been talking about that before.

Comment

I just want them to come out with more movies/TV shows more often or at least more interesting stuff. :P So many movies on there I've never even heard of. I've also watched most of the stuff on there that interests me so that's the main reason I want more content faster. lol

Comment

Originally posted by OGXero View Post
              I just want them to come out with more movies/TV shows more often or at least more interesting stuff. :P So many movies on there I've never even heard of. I've also watched most of the stuff on there that interests me so that's the main reason I want more content faster. lol
              Yeah really I would like to see some more good movies and such if they're raising the price again.
              http://steamsignature.com/profile/de...7976240074.png

Comment

Working...
              X