Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Green Split #4 - Being Bad Is Good!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• The Green Split #4 - Being Bad Is Good!

Recently, I’ve been starting to learn how to run Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX, and it’s been so much fun for me. It’s easily one of my favourite games ever, and the HD rerelease (with FM outside of Japan for the first time) has just made it even better. One of the best bits about it is the 358/2 Days cutscene movie, which basically turns the DS game that connected all of the games so far in the cannon, into one of the greatest 2 hour experiences of your life. But the absolute greatest part is that it enabled me to speedrun a game I love, and within a reasonable enough time frame for me to be able to stream again on a more regular basis.

It’s no secret that as a streamer, I do not get the opportunity to stream for too long, or even too often, thanks to my current internet and living situation (I mean, 4mbps download… come ON!) and now that I have college starting back up, and a near enough full time job on top of that, my time streaming is far from as often as it once was.

So, what has this go t to do with all of you? A lot, that’s what it has to do with all of you. Tonight, I had an opportunity to do a single segment of KH FM, a game that you can’t actually lose, a game that unless you give up, you can’t fail a single segment. Seriously, and the fact you can now skip cutscenes makes it much faster as well. That changed for me today. Today, I major league screwed up. I had a PERFECT run (and by perfect I mean perfect for someone who’s never had a chance to single segment the game before, not WR perfect…) and was practically on the last world of the game, End of the World. I only had Behemoth (arguably one of the easiest bosses in the game) when I realized that I forgot one of the splits. At this point I was like “meh, I’ll just split it now rather than ruin the splits later.”

It was at this point I missed the split button and hit the “reset all splits” button. 3 hours of hard work, 3 hours of near perfect running, all just vanished into thin air. If there is a god, he didn’t want me to finish a single segment run of KH FM tonight. But do you know what? That’s not going to stop me from getting a single segment run completed. I WILL do it next time the opportunity presents itself, and I will do it better than before.

The moral of this week’s article is this: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you a flaming bag of dog turds, covered in lighter fuel, and also there’s maybe some really long nails inside the bag too? You get mad, and yell at your computer about being a piece of crap, and then you relax, and try again the next day. Do you give up? No way, no way at all. Back to the title of this week’s article, Being Bad is Good. If you get beaten by a boss and it gives you trouble often, learn from the issues you’ve had, and take your sword and shield, go up to that boss and do as Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson says and (not exactly what he says, but…) take that sword and shield, turn them sideways and ram them up his punk ass.

If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again and again. Nobody breaks a world record on their first try at a game unless they’re the very first person to ever play it. If you don’t do well, that doesn’t make you a bad speedrunner. If you have a bad run and never play that game again for the remainder of your life, then you can call yourself a bad speedrunner, but if you take what you’ve learned from your mistakes, and turn them into a learning exercise, that only helps you get better at the game. You can’t get worse at a speedrun because you’ve had a bad day. A bad day doesn’t mean you’re not good.

Keep on keeping on. Don’t look back, and don’t let a bad run put you off. Let it be the fire that ignites the passion to beat the game faster.

Anyway, I’m still severely pissed off with WSplit this week, so no splits. It’s also been over a month since I last posted an article, so I would have to sift through a month of World Records, and then either put all of them up, or decide which ones are more worthy, something I don’t think is doable. So we’ll be back with world records next week.

But that’s all for now from me folks, and remember, an apple a day keeps the bad RNG away!

Stay Green ladies and gentlemen!

-Rory “Shazbut” Barnes a.k.a. RoryExtraLife

• AmazingSully
      AmazingSully commented
      Editing a comment
      This is why global hotkeys are a blessing... this has never happened to me because all I need to do is hit the + key and it splits for me (I also don't have a global command set for reset all splits).

• Disenchantment
      Disenchantment commented
      Editing a comment
      shared up on fb

• daddypnot3d
      daddypnot3d commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have just kept going and split the highlight video after I have been there lol
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• King of the Splits Ep. 9 June 23rd
    by Ari

This Episode we have RanubisTheBeard challenging CarNage64 for his King of the Splits title on the Super Nintendo! The game for this battle will be Demon's Crest! It will probably seem familiar to some people when they see it although they might not of heard of it. That is because this game branches off from the epic NES game Ghouls n' Goblins (an enemy character from the Ghosts 'n Goblins series, known as "Red Arremer" in the Japanese version). Make sure to tune into twitch.tv/lzh_sr...
    06-16-2018, 01:07 AM
  • LUG List Podcast: 1st Stage Songs on NES
    by Ari

Time to jam out to some classic music. This episode the Listers jive to their top 10 1st Stage Songs on NES.​

https://www.buzzsprout.com/149321/68...tage-nes-music

The LUG Listers' primary goal is to make and share lists with everyone because lists are the greatest thing. Twice a week, we put together a new top 10 list on varying topics in the entertainment industry, and record them for this podcast. We don't know what the other
    04-23-2018, 10:48 PM
  • LUG List Podcast: Top 10 SNES Games
    by Ari

Taking a trip back once again to a golden age of gaming with our top 10 SNES games. Our special guest Tnarg13 joins us for this one and with all the discussion, we want to play all the games over again!​

https://www.buzzsprout.com/149321/65...endo-games.mp3

The LUG Listers' primary goal is to make and share lists with everyone because lists are the greatest thing. Twice a week, we put together a new top 10 list on varying topics
    03-11-2018, 10:40 PM
  • King of the Splits Episode 6: Turtle Mania
    by Ari

King of the Splits returns. Xephyr couldn't make it last minute so RightAsReno has stepped in to torture himself in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs CarNage64! *Spoilers* One reaches the end of his sanity levels before they both agree to call it a tie.

The Ninja Turtles are on a mission to retrieve the Life Transformer Gun from Shredder, a device that could restore their sensei Splinter back to his human form. The Turtles' first objective is to rescue their reporter friend April
    02-11-2018, 04:45 AM
  • King of the Splits: CarNage64 vs X10Power
    by Ari

This Sunday, the first "King of the Splits" will be held which is a King of the Hill race series of random games. The winner will continue onto a new challenger and new game until he or she is dethroned. This is a super casual, blind racing with some guests to commentate the race as well cause a little trouble and banter between the racers.

For the first match we have CarNage64 taking on X10Power in Earthworm Jim for the Sega Genesis! If you're not familiar about the...
    09-17-2017, 01:52 AM
  • Community Spotlight: ChampionBeef
    by Ari

In this episode of the Community Spotlight we're showcasing ChampionBeef playing The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II which was estimated to take 10 hours. The game takes place at the same time frame as Zero and Ao no Kiseki games, but in the Erebonian Empire. The game's plot is centered around the newly formed special class "Class VII" in Thors Military Academy, composed of both aristocrats and normal Erebonian citizens. Class VII is the only class in the entire academy...
    06-15-2017, 11:32 AM

Article Tags

Collapse

Working...
X